NAVIGATE THIS SITE:

Sunday, September 23, 2012

That Running Bug

I've mentioned before how I only run when I'm training for a race. I don't really run year-round. I maintain that I'm "a runner" because not too long goes by before I'm looking for another race to train for.

My half marathon is nearly 90 days behind me, and I can feel that running bug biting me again. During my time off from running, I have returned to my other love, heavy weight lifting. I can squat and deadlift  over one hundred pounds again. I love that. I still hope someday to be able to bench press one hundred pounds.

My "cardio" has consisted mainly of HIIT sessions. Mostly treadmill sprints, but also some elliptical and bike work. I much prefer the treadmill and bike to the elliptical. Well, that's not entirely true. If we are talking the Precor Elliptical with the increasing ramp in addition to increasing resistance, I do love that one. The Nautilus one that only has a resistance adjustment is boring.

My trainer mixes up my cardio. Currently, my program has 3 HIITs and 2 steady states. Each are 40 minutes in length. The steady states are "killing" me in the gym. So boring! I think that's part of the running bug returning.

Another part is the cooler weather. It just feels like running weather! I'm excited to lace up and head out for a couple of 40 minute runs this week. :)

3 comments:

Yvette said...

I need to get the running bug. I remember back when I was addicted to working out. What happened? I need that feeling back.

Hopefully your running bug will rub off on me too!

Doin the Math said...

What is your biggest obstacle right now? Time, energy, or interest?

Kim said...

I need a vaccination against the "sitting disease"! I'm so cozy in bed in the morning, I sit all day at work and when I get home I'm exhausted so I sit down and then I don't want to get up and exercise. It's a vicious cycle that I need to break. I strongly considering doing a Thanksgiving day turkey trot (5K) as a definitive goal.